.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

My Big Red Couch

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Ke-rash

I have been teaching motorcycle safety for 6 or 7 years now, I'm not sure exactly how long it has been. I have always thought I was pretty good, but now I wonder.

Sunday, 3 short days ago, demonstrating the last exercise of the day in the afternoon I crashed in the swerve box. I am such a good "bad example." I don't feel good about my crash but I can learn from it. A crash is a series of factors that accumulate.

What factors did I accumulate?

It was shortly after 4pm on a Sunday after teaching since Friday night.
Factor #1 - Fatigue.
It was misting, not really raining but not dry either.
Factor #2 - Slick surface. The range is beat up; bumps, tar snakes, old paint, new paint and paint that has been burnt off.
Factor #3 - Poor quality surface. I was riding a dual-sport. They handle well but have a high center of gravity. I think I was going too fast.
Factor #4 - Speed.
I am good at teaching Really, I am.
Factor #5 - Pride.


And all I have to show for it is busted up pride and this tidy bit of road rash. Posted by Picasa

And I'm not teaching ever again (this year).


Same great wound, now in vivid color. Thanks to Jamie for snapping this with my camera (because she just couldn't stand the crappity photo I took in the bathroom mirror this morning). Posted by Picasa


 
Subscribe with Bloglines