.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

My Big Red Couch

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Up Close and Personal

We were out and about today and this is what we saw.


Taken at the Reindeer Farm by the Bodenburg Butte near Palmer Alaska with the new Nikon Coolpix 5600 that Jamie got me for our 8th Wedding Anniversary. Yes, I was that close (about 18 inches). Posted by Hello

They're domesticated so they're about as tame as dogs. I was a little freaked out when the first one came running up to me but then, when I was surrounded by about 6 of them, it all somehow seemed OK.

The sign said, reindeer and caribou are exactly the same but reindeer are domesticated and caribou are wild. Jamie noticed their feet clicking when they ran and thought they all had arthritis. It's actually their hooves clicking back together when they lift up their feet.

It was a fun experience, well worth the $13 dollar admission for the 3 of us that were big enough to get charged for it (we didn't have to pay for Vv). They even provided the boots. Vv's were too big so she kept walking out of them (can you say "eeeeeew, reindeer shit!). I ended up carrying her for about a half hour so I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I wanted and as if a simple "thank you" wouldn't have been enough, just as Jamie and Mad went in to get our shoes Vv barfed all over me. Can you say "pancakes and hash browns?" It was still a fun family outing.


 
Subscribe with Bloglines